Log in

No account? Create an account
We're now in the house, finally. Moving was predictably stupid,… - The Veritable TechNinja [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
The Veritable TechNinja

[ website | ~/public_html ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

[Jun. 25th, 2007|03:15 pm]
The Veritable TechNinja
[status |exhaustedexhausted]

We're now in the house, finally. Moving was predictably stupid, starting with an error on my part. I had heard the mover guy say the words "first thing in the morning, bright and early", but was too groggy and irritated to notice that he wrote "any time 8AM-5PM" on the invoice. Of course, we had planned our entire day around them showing up first thing in the morning. D'oh. Called the movers to find out their ETA was 1-3PM.

Then there was the massive loading of things in to the PorkMobile, Preety's mom's Highlander, while Preety was at work. Got one load to the house, but forgot my house keys and had to stow some stuff in the garage instead of the house. Got a second load put in the PorkMobile, but didn't have a chance to take it to the house before the movers arrived.

The movers were tweedle dee and tweedle stupid-as-fuck, one of them took the baggie of screws that I had specifically taped to the bedframe so they wouldn't be separated during the move, and thereby easier to assemble, and summarily lost it. Mother fucker. The rest of the stuff went as good as having a mover can be expected.

The utility hookup windows that I scheduled for the afternoon due to my thinking the movers were coming in the morning came and went without so much as a phone call. Preety was home by then, and started in on tracking the bastards down. Comcast was just late as hell, however AT&T had really fucked things up. Despite what they had told me on the phone, the tech they dispatched didn't need us to be there, and had came and gone without us even noticing him.

So an hour and a half after Comcast said they'd be there at the latest, the tech rolls by in his truck. I get up from hanging out with my neighbors to sit on my porch and wave him down next time he drives by, and had actually given up by the time he managed to find the place. Long story short, it took him two and a half hours to hook up the cable. Most of that was because he had to sit on hold with the CO. My fucking god, what kind of company puts it's own techs on hold?

From then on there was general, uneventful lugging of heavy things, followed by our first actual night in the house, which was quite nice. The badass mattress we bought isn't back pain panacea, especially after all that lifting, but it sure helps. Same thing the next day for the most part, just a lot of lifting and unpacking.

The issues, however, were many. The Comcast tech hooked up the box at the jack in the kitchen, where the built-in TV is, since I hadn't set up the TV by then. This was my most critical error, I shouldn't have let him leave until I had a picture on my main TV. It seems like the cable jack in the living room is broken, as I can't even get basic analog cable by directly hooking the line to the TV. It may be completely disconnected, as I don't even get a fuzzy picture.

The Comcast bitch I talked to about it says that they have to somehow magically "activate" every jack in my house individually, and that this is something they do from the pole and I can't do myself. I explained to her that there's one line coming in to the house and a bunch of splitters in the basement that lead to all of my jacks, but she insisted, claiming it was FCC law. I demanded her supervisor, who also stuck to the "activate" bullshit, but rolled a truck for free and gave me a decent repair window. To top it off, the phone jack next to the working cable jack does not work, and that's where I want the phone. The phone jack that does work is right next to the cable jack that doesn't. Goddamnit.

We decided to leave the kitties at the apartment as Jiji was still on medicine that was making her puke a lot, and was on the medication because she wasn't using the catbox. We moved them in yesterday with surprisingly good results, they both immediately started checking the place out instead of cowering together inside the same catbox for a whole day as they did after the last move.

Now it's down to putting the last of the stuff away, doing a few small repairs and tweaks like the doorknob on the garage side door, and we're good. Thank jeebus, because I can't turn another wood screw with an allen wrench or lift another box of whatever.

[User Picture]From: resk
2007-06-25 07:59 pm (UTC)
Holy shit, dude. Sounds like a nightmare.

I knew that the Comcast guy wasn't too bright when he parked in the driveway blocking EVERYONE in. And taping the screws to the bed frame is Standard Operating Procedure. Who the hell doesn't know that? Movers, apparently. They don't have to take any kind of test for that job. I know. I did it for a living for one whole day.

Glad things are settling down for you. Hope you get a chance to relax and really enjoy the new digs soon.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: arcsine
2007-06-25 08:23 pm (UTC)
Argh... But of course there's a lot of upsides, and we're altogether pretty happy. Going to go try to buy replacement hardware for the bed tonight, as well as (oops, forgot to put that in my post) find an alternative to the blinds we picked out for upstairs. Appparently the upstairs windows aren't deep enough for 2" blinds, and that's as narrow as they come. Most likely going with pleated shades.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: peaceandcarrots
2007-06-25 09:27 pm (UTC)
"It seems like the cable jack in the living room is broken, as I can't even get basic analog cable by directly hooking the line to the TV." "To top it off, the phone jack next to the working cable jack does not work, and that's where I want the phone."

Sounds to me like the problem is with the builders. Were they idiots?
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: arcsine
2007-06-26 04:20 am (UTC)
Total scumbags, I'd never deal with them again ;)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: alceria
2007-06-25 10:17 pm (UTC)
I'm in the midst of moving into my house so I totally relate. I'm waiting to see if any of the neighbors have wifi before I call comcast though. I know that's kinda lame, but I'm going to be fucking broke after my mortgage payment each month. But strangely enough, they sent an actual comcast person to my house this weekend to try to get me to sign up for service. Since when do those fuckers go door to door? Of course, if I actually had a problem or wanted it hooked up, it would take them three days and four attempts to do it right. You would not believe the crap I went through just to get them to turn the cable back on at my condo. They insisted I needed a full install when I had already had it installed previously. Maybe that works on the people who didn't previously live in a residence where they are hooking up cable.

My move is getting dragged out because there is work I want to do before I really move in and I have no one to help with the actual moving. I just have the few hours after work to try to move a few boxes (can't fit much in a convertible) and work on some of the stuff that needs to be done. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I'm in by christmas.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: arcsine
2007-06-26 04:24 am (UTC)
Yup, I've had nothing but problems with them, I don't think I've ever had a problem resolved completely to my satisfaction. Several times I've been outright lied to, treated rudely, or ditched on appointments.

I'm right there with you on limited time and space to move stuff, we've been trying to juggle un/packing, solving problems, scheduling stuff, shopping, &c &c &c for months now and I'm just about ready to blow a gasket in Home Depot and kill somebody.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: love_your_ego
2007-06-26 05:40 am (UTC)
Moving sucks, but look at the bright side, you have most of the really shitty stuff done at this point. Just try to relax as much as possible and take your time unpacking. Did you guys ever decide what to do with that random wall in the middle of your living room?

Also, I'm definately looking forward to your housewarming party :-)
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: arcsine
2007-06-26 01:14 pm (UTC)
Yeah, we're going to do the two couches kind of in a V with the pillar in the middle, and the TV in between on the opposite wall. It looks OK now, but we haven't reassembled the sectional or taken delivery of the loveseat yet.

As for the housewarming party, I still have to talk Preety in to it, but we'll see.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: malicewaters
2007-06-28 04:21 pm (UTC)

what a headache

I am so sorry Kevin that things went, oh so bad. It sounds like you guys went to hell but came out of it ok. They say that moving is as stressful as a death. At least you guys are in now and can relax and years from now you can laugh about it all, I hope. Thats why I told Ed there is know way I am ever moving. I don't care if Howell is far away from everything, I am fine staying in this house until I die. I can't wait to see pics of the new place. We will have to have you guys over for a relaxing Sunday with good food and drinks. Take care, Tell Preety I said hello.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: arcsine
2007-06-28 07:36 pm (UTC)

Re: what a headache

Yeah, it's taking a toll on us, but it's almost over. We're settled in, mostly unpacked, and starting to get a feel for the new place now. The kitties are still a little skittish, but they'll be fine.

Pics are here under the gallery, but some aren't of our house. Definitely have to get up there to see you guys, and the same goes for you coming down here, you can see the place for yourselves! We'd be happy to play host to drunken Wii Play frivolities, just let us know when either way.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)